You may also be interested in: O'Reilly - SharePoint 2010 at Work
Editor's note: Follow contributor Sai Chundur @mosstweeter
Over the last decade, the success of SharePoint has been its community and CodePlex has been vital in sharing code and tools to serve the SharePoint user community. For all the geeks, and me in particular, the STSADM.exe GUI and Autoinstaller PowerShell script tool for SharePoint have saved valuable time at client sites. There are more add-ons to help if you are installing SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013.
You can now use a GUI to prepare your input.xml file AutoSPinstaller GUI in conjunction with AutoSPinstaller which has been downloaded over 45,000 times since its introduction.
- Saves you time and great for review and making changes while sitting with your client in a meeting
- You can use the elements which you need and just review the components separately.
- Run the application and load the empty Autoinstallerinput.xml and you can start adding your parameters
- Web applications
- Service applications are also separated in a tidy fashion and you can choose which ones to install and configure
- If you want, you can also provide parameters for enterprise applications and others as seen below.
- You save the output as an input xml in your installation folder and you are ready to go.
SharePoint 2013 has more to offer than SharePoint 2010 and it is nice to see improvements and add-ons to tools that are available to us.