One of the interesting features in the major MS Word Applications is the ability to define where the "Save" or "Save As…" button points upon initially saving a file. By default, it usually points to "My Documents". If you are using SharePoint a lot, it will probably be useful to reset that default to a top level location within your SharePoint site.
- Open SharePoint to the location you’d like to have as your "Save" default
- Copy the URL of that location
- Open Word (as an example)
- Click the Office Button in the top left corner
- Click the Word Options button in the bottom right corner
- Click the Save link in the left menu
- In the Default file location text box, paste the URL, removing any extraneous items like Forms/AllItems.aspx
- Click OK in the bottom right corner
The next time you click the Save button, you’ll be pointed directly into that location, be it a library or a top level view that exposes all the libraries you can choose from on that site. Not bad for a thirty second fix, if I do say so myself.